Tuesday, March 13, 2018

*Top Ten Tuesday* Books that Surprised Me


Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl. Joood - Hooligan of Platypire reviews bossed me into doing this, so I guess this is a thing I do now. 

This weeks theme is books that surprised me. This is not an easy topic for me because I don't want to slag on books, and I tend to go into books expecting the best. Not that I think every book is going to be a five star read, but pretty much every book does start out that way in my mind. So I'm going to go back to around the time I first started this blog to highlight a few of the indie books that redeemed my faith in indie's (after a very horrible indie experience years before).

Bully by Penelope Douglas - This one was an easy choice for me because it is responsible for me giving self-published books a second chance. You see, Penelope is my cousin through marriage, so way back when Bully was a self-published title and temporarily free on Amazon, I downloaded it as this huge favor to her (I was an ass) and even deigned to read it (seriously, so full of myself). I am so glad I read it though, because it restored my faith in self-published books, and ultimately led to me starting a book blog in the first place. Without this book, I wouldn't be here.

Save My Soul by K.S. Haigwood - This was one of the first book review requests I received after starting this blog and it made me a K.S. Haigwood fan. I haven't been doing a very good job of keeping up with her most recent releases, but I have at least read all the books in this particular series so far.

Minutes Before Sunset by Shannon A Thompson - Not only is this author a child (not really, she's reached the age of majority, but she is several years younger than me and I barely consider myself an adult most days), but she also went to KU, which is a major strike against her in my book (again not really because of the two major Kansas universities, KU has the better English program, but I'm being petty here!). So imagine my surprise when I finished this book and wanted to be this author when I grow up.

Separation Anxiety by Lisa Suzanne - I've never been big on the whole book boyfriend thing. Like a male character may appeal to me while I'm reading the book he's in, but I have no problem ditching him for the next guy when the book is over. I just never really feel too attached to them. They're basically one-night stands in book form. Except Jesse Drake. I still want a Jesse Drake of my own and I read this book over four years ago.

Intractable Souls by Tricia Daniels - I felt like this book took me forever to read (four months at a time when I was actually doing a somewhat decent job of sticking to my TBR list) because it felt so real, and it got rather deep.

And I'm going to wrap this post up here at five (it's the new ten after all, I declared that last week, I think). If I kept searching my Goodreads read shelf, I could probably fill it out, but I'm having some eye issues again and need to stop staring at this screen and save my eye for proofreading later today.

What are some books that really surprised you when you read them? - Katie

*If you're stopping by from the linkup, please be sure to drop a link to your post below so I can be sure to check out your list too.*

3 comments:

  1. I will be adding some of the books you've listed to my ever growing reading wishlist!!

    Here's a link to my TTT post for this week: https://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2018/03/top-ten-tuesday-books-that-surprised-me.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did, when you have the time to read them.

      Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  2. Great list! I've been surprised by a few indie books in the past too. Sometimes the ones by unknown authors who don't have the most appealing book covers, have turned out to be fantastic stories.

    ReplyDelete