Tuesday, August 29, 2017

*Top Ten Tuesday* Ten Hidden Gems in Children's Books.


Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Joood - Hooligan of Platypire reviews bossed me into doing this, so I guess this is a thing I do now. 

This weeks theme is hidden gems in X genre. I've decided to feature kid's books because it can be hard to find good recommendations for kids books sometimes.

1: If Your Monster Won't Go to Bed by Denise Vega. This book is just adorable, it teaches kids to take some responsibility for a bedtime routine, and I don't dread the thought of reading it over and over again.

2: Fluffy Strikes Back by Ashley Spires. This is a graphic novel definitely geared towards children. It features cats in an FBI type role, defending the world from evil bugs. It was a fun read and I normally dislike graphic novels.

3: Everywhere and All Around by Pimm van Hest. This is actually a rather sad story about a young girl whose mother dies. But I believe it could really help a child deal with the loss of someone close to them should they need to.

4: Miles of Smiles by Karen Kaufman Orloff. This is kind of a silly rhyming story, but it earned a spot on this list because my son was able to read it mostly in the intended rhythm even when he was a somewhat weak reader.

5: A Friend for Mole by Nancy Army. This story is about two animals that learn to help each other in spite of their differences. I think that's a good lesson for just about anyone to learn.

6: A Message for Grandpa by Julie Guardado. This is another book that talks about grief and mourning in language that kids can understand. It shows that there are lots of ways to mourn the loss of someone close to you and that they are all valid.

7: I Love You Already by Jory John. This is a story about a extroverted duck and an introverted bear. I think it could help children understand people who express their friendship in different ways because Duck and Bear express their friendship in different ways.

8: Honk Honk! Hold Tight! by Jessica Souhami. This is a funny story that flips the traditional fairy tale on it's ear. I appreciated that in this story, the princess wasn't a prize to be won, but instead she choose the man that made her laugh because she appreciated his personality.

9: Mystery of the Disappearing Dolphin by Janelle Diller. This is a chapter book, but still for young readers. It includes a few good lessons such as honesty is the best policy and that even though we may look different on the outside, on the inside we can be pretty similar. It also includes some Spanish words and phrases with translations and information about Mexico at the end of the book, so it's a fun read with some education thrown in.

10: A Problem with Donuts by Ben Woodward. This is a funny little story with a lot of word repetition so it would be great for a beginning reader to help reinforce the words in their mind.

Are there any children's books you would add to my list? - Katie

*If you are stopping by from the TTT link-up, please be sure to leave a link to your post below so I can be sure to check out your list as well.*

21 comments:

  1. Thanks for this list as a teacher I'm always looking for great children's stories. I'll definitely be checking some of these out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute list! I always need more books for my littles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same. Of course, some of our children's books have a tendency to "mysteriously" disappear. LOL. - Katie

      Delete
  3. It's interesting how sometimes children's books can have a greater impact than adult books. Thanks for the list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great little list! I will have to check some of these out. I love rhyming books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this list. Rhyming books are great for kids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These all sound so good and even cute, but especially I Love You Already :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hidden Gem indeed, I have never heard of any of these but I really want to find and read "A Problem with Doughnuts".

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great list! I read with my nephew and feature his drawings on my blog! We haven't read any of these yet ♥️

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cute list. I'm not familiar with these titles, but am eyeing several for my niece.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This s such a cute list! I'll definitely keep these in mind when I'm shopping for little ones!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww, I LOVE this. It is really hard to find good children's books. I'm going to look at all of these now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE this take on the prompt. My son is almost two and loves reading and I am *always* looking for new books to read! Saving this list for later.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So special to see our book "Everywhere and All Around" up here on your list. I send you warm greetzz from MMe - PiMM van Hest (author of this book) from the Netherlands ❤️ PiMM 👍

    ReplyDelete
  14. So special to see our book "Everywhere and All Around" up here on your list. I send you warm greetzz from MMe - PiMM van Hest (author of this book) from the Netherlands ❤️ PiMM 👍

    ReplyDelete