Friday, December 25, 2015

*Review* Short Shorts #1

I occasionally enjoy reading short stories (although I feel they're too short about half the time), and rather than writing hugely detailed reviews which would inevitably contain spoilers, I've decided to combine several reviews into one post, which I will be calling Short Shorts.

Title: Little Tchotchkes
Author: Nicki Scalise
Genre: Horror
Published: October 14, 2014
Pages: 25

Synopsis

Immortal and jaded, Marcus Keary spends his nights trolling Goth clubs in search of his next meal. But his feeding habits have become too routine over the decades. He craves a challenge. 

Enter Jules — a college student, a touch eccentric, and exactly what Marcus needs. Will she fall prey to his charms, or will she change everything he thinks he knows about life as a vampire?

Review

This story had me a little confused at first. There were a few things that just didn't make any sense for just about any vampire world. Then I felt like the ending wrapped up a little quickly, but it also kind of made sense that way. 4 out of 5 stars.


Title: Pale and Crimson
Author: Kayti Nika Raet
Genre: Dystopian/Horror
Published: June 30, 2015
Pages: 17

Synopsis

Slithers are vicious creatures. Craving flesh and blood, they will stop at nothing until their hunger is satisfied. So when sixteen year old Benjamin King discovers that one has been smuggled onto the train, he's eager to see it, even if it has been drugged into a mindless stupor.

But one moment can change everything.

Set six years before Niko, Pale and Crimson chronicles how one decision can have far reaching consequences.

Review

This story feels like it should be a chapter in a much longer book, and it is part of a series, sort of. It gave me a taste of a new world that I now want to devour. There were several spelling and grammar errors, but I don't think the average reader will notice them. 4 out of 5 stars.


Title: Little Bad Wolf and Red Riding Hood
Author: Timothy Tocher
Genre: Children's
Published: March 6, 2012
Pages: 20

Synopsis

The Big Bad Wolf is running a successful scam on Little Red's Grandma until Little Red catches him in the act.

Review

I definitely enjoyed this reimagining of the Red Riding Hood fairy tale. It's a cute story and a fun read, even for an adult. 5 out of 5 stars.






Title: Blood Magic
Author: Domino Finn
Genre: Horror
Published: February 19, 2015
Pages: 20

Synopsis

When they found the first body, no one batted an eye.

That was par for the course in Skid Row. But something with these deaths was off. They were made to look like ritualistic suicides, like something supernatural. But I knew better. Besides, I don't believe in magic.

My name is Rick Danvers and I'm an undercover detective with Robbery Homicide. I've been embedded in this slum for a week now, and before the night is over, I'm gonna get to the bottom of the Skid Row Suicides.

Review

This story has me completely intrigued and wondering if there is more to the tale, like if it's a prequel to a series. It seems like it could serve as a prologue for a book, but it definitely works better as it's own story. And as much as I want there to be more story, this was definitely the perfect length. 5 out of 5 stars. 


Title: The Bell Tower Suite
Author: James Field
Genre: YA/Horror
Published: November 25, 2014
Pages: 13

Synopsis

Is the bell tower suite haunted? Colonel Mortimer doesn't think so, he doesn't believes in ghosts. His club associates dare him to spend a night. Sibyl, the mansion's housekeeper, fears for the colonel's sanity. Alf and Bert, the security guards, can't resist the temptation to give him a solid fright. Nobody expects the outcome.

Review

This story threw me for a loop. It drew me in with the promise of ghosts and delivered spectacularly. I definitely recommend it for a slight fright and a bit of a laugh to boot. 5 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment