Saturday, December 6, 2014

30 Days of Christmas - Day 5 - Josie's Miracle by Dawn Sullivan

Tonight's selection took me two days to read, but only because yesterday was clean the house from top to bottom day and I basically went to bed when my husband got home from work because I was exhausted, and then today I spent most of the day out of the house running our usual weekly errands (aka: grocery shopping), and then my husband and I went on an impromptu date night to a Christmas Market while the neighbor kid babysat our minions. It was a successful date night, but the kids were NOT in bed when we got home at 10:30. I don't really blame the babysitter though, because we still occasionally have trouble getting the kids to stay in bed at bedtime too. Anyway, onto the review.


Genre: Erotic Paranormal Romance/Holiday
Published: December 3rd, 2014
Ages: 18+

Synopsis

A doctor for the White River Wolves, Josie Bennett is devoted to her pack and her calling to heal those in need. Then one fateful night changes everything.


As an enforcer for the Shifter Council, Ryker Kain has pledged himself to the council and dedicated his life to serving and protecting its members.

Ryker and Josie cross paths when Ryker is sent to track down a rogue wolf pack that has kidnapped and terrorized a young female fox shifter. Unable to fight the mate bond, they surrender to the undeniable desire between them.

When Ryker must leave to complete his mission, will the passion that brought them together be enough to fight the ties that threaten to tear them apart? 

Review

This is the first book in a new series by Dawn Sullivan, but it felt like it was a continuation of another series, maybe because it crosses her R.A.R.E series (I have not read her R.A.R.E. series. I garnered this information from a review posted for this book on Goodreads). For me some of the characters felt a little flat, like I should already feel like I know them. This did seem to be more the case with members of the R.A.R.E team that makes several appearances in this book. Most of them are minor characters in this story though, so this wasn't a significant failing. 

If you read my #BookBlogWriMo posts in November, you know that I really don't like insta-love in books, and well, this book had it. However, it felt a lot more reasonable and acceptable in Josie's Miracle than it has in any other book I've read up to this point. The characters in this book live in a universe where they know without a shadow of a doubt that there is a perfect mate for them somewhere, and because they are shifters they have increased scent sensitivity. I'm sure if humans could smell a person and know that they were meant to be together based on that, we'd have a lot more insta-love in real life. 

When Josie and Ryker meet for the first time, the lust in the room is so thick you could cut it with a knife. It was a relief to me when they were finally able to consummate their relationship, giving each other a mate mark, which I think is sort of like a permanent hickey, but it's a mark of honor, not shame. The sex scenes were decent. They were mildly descriptive, and I could picture what was going on, but I didn't feel it like I do with sex scenes that are really well written. 

Overall I give this book 4 out of 5 stars. It didn't have any major issues, but it did have enough minor ones to prevent it from earning a full five stars. I realize that this review seems awfully negative because unfortunately there wasn't anything about it that I just absolutely loved, and sometimes it's easier for me to talk about the things that didn't work for me in a book than the things that did. But I did enjoy reading it even though I wasn't able to convey that very well, and I would still definitely recommend it to people that enjoy a good shifter romance in spite of my lousy review. - Katie 

Buy the Book







No comments:

Post a Comment